Tuesday, August 14, 2012

School Supply Cake

This past week Georgia Anne and I made a school supply cake for her new 3rd grade teacher.  This is a super easy and fun craft and people go nuts when they see it.  We gave it to her teacher today at Open House and I think every single child we passed said something about it.  If you'd like to make one yourself, I have a full tutorial here

I modified this one a little from the one in the tutorial.  I used Clorox Wipes "inside" the cake instead of paper towels.  I also used the space from the top of the wipes to the top of the notebooks to hold 3 packs of washable markers.  I tucked the two rulers in the notebooks and added a little "ABC" bunting to them with twine.  One last thing I changed was I used a wooden plate (from the unfinished wood section of the craft store) instead of a cardboard base.  This thing gets pretty heavy when you add everything so I thought the plate was a little more substantial. 

4 comments:

Kimberly @ Seriously Daisies said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my chair!! I totally love this school supply cake, it an awesome idea, and yours turned out great!! :):)

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful idea!

Sheila said...

I know the teacher was thrilled to get it and your daughter even more thrilled to present it to her.

Unknown said...

I LOVE the canvas "what I love most about my home is who I share it with" Love the colors too!! Do you make them and sell them?